From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another old box to update
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 20:32:06
1 Am 07.01.2015 um 17:08 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It's worth repeating: the customer caused this, he must now feel the
5 >> pain and not you.
8 > So, if he made an informed choice and that is what he chose, then that
9 > is how it has to be.
10 >
11 > However, if I were in the position of supporting this installation I'd
12 > probably give some thought as to what the right tools for the job are.
13 > Gentoo simply isn't designed to be updated twice a decade. If you
14 > REALLY want that kind of deployment you should probably be running
15 > something like RHEL, which will commercially support your old install
16 > for years and help you with any issues with migration (but there
17 > aren't likely to be many, since they will have tested moving from one
18 > 5-year-old release to the next 5-year-supported one. Debian stable or
19 > CentOS are of course free alternatives, or Ubuntu LTS.
20 >
21 > I love Gentoo, and I think it is the right tool for a lot of jobs, but
22 > it isn't always the right tool for EVERY job.
23 >
24 > If it really is just one box and you don't mind dealing with the
25 > downtime/hassle/etc twice a decade then by all means use Gentoo.
26 > However, if I were managing 100 of these this is not how I'd want to
27 > be doing it.
28
29 100% Yes here.
30
31 See my other posting right now for what my current position is around
32 these issues.
33
34 Stefan