From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev-197 : 4 show-stoppers
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:19:59
1 On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:06:17 +1100, Gregory Shearman wrote:
2
3 > > That's fine if you see the message, which you should, and the system
4 > > does not suffer an unplanned reboot, which it shouldn't. But leaving a
5 > > system in a state that won't reboot following a crash or power
6 > > failure is not particularly clever, making the warnings fatal sounds
7 > > a safe default to me. As this is Gentoo there will always be a way to
8 > > turn the airbags off and even disable the brakes :)
9
10 > I have all update messages emailed to me using:
11 >
12 > PORTAGE_ELOG_*=<blah>
13
14 As do I.
15
16 > After every update I read every message that portage sends me and I act
17 > appropriately upon them.
18
19 As do I.
20
21 > BTW, My udev update went without a hitch. I had a revdep-rebuild to do
22 > for a libudev update and that was about it.
23
24 As did mine, but none of that has any real relevance to my previous
25 point. What if you have an unintentional reboot before you have had a
26 chance to read on and act on the message.
27
28 The point is that this update can render your machine unbootable, until
29 you take remedial action that you are only informed about after the
30 update. Effectively, that elog message is saying "I have just broken
31 your computer, you'd better fix it before you reboot!".
32
33 > Even if you didn't see the message and your system didn't boot then you
34 > could still fix things by using your Minimal Install CD to start up,
35 > then chroot into your normal system and rebuild your kernel.
36
37 That remedy should be reserved for unforseen circumstances, not used as
38 an excuse for casual breakage.
42 Neil Bothwick
43
44 why do kamikazee pilots wear helmets?