From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:51:52
1 Am 14.12.2012 17:18, schrieb felix@×××××××.com:
2 > Something went haywire with my 8 or 9 year old dual Opteron ~amd64
3 > system last night. I may have a bricked system. I haven't given up
4 > yet, but I may have to buy a replacement system. I have external USB
5 > drive backups, but the only other computer I have right now is an old
6 > Mac laptop which can't read Linux LVM partitions.
7 >
8 > Questions:
9 >
10 > 1. I don't remember, and can't look up, the make.conf processor
11 > flags I emerge with. But it is dual Opterons, and ~amd64. How
12 > compatible could that be with modern Intel CPUs? I know Intel
13 > adopted the extra registers of the AMD64 instruction set, but are
14 > there other differences which would prevent an Opteron system from
15 > running as is under an Intel processor? Maybe AMD still sells
16 > Opterons, and I will be stuck with building a system.
19 I guess your Opterons used -march=k8. Except of 3dnow, this should be
20 compatible. You might be lucky.
21
22 > 2. Is it feasible to buy some commodity box, like from Dell, with an
23 > Intel processor, and plug in my two SATA SSD drives and get a console
24 > boot? I don't give a fig right now about any GUI interface, and even
25 > Internet is not the problem. If it will boot and run emerges, I can
26 > import the source files for X and Ethernet and other peripherals via
27 > USB stick. But SATA drivers ...
30 Yep, SATA drivers will be the biggest issue. Hope you had and will have
31 AHCI.
32
33 > 3. My kernels always have just about every driver compiled in as
34 > modules, an old habit from when I used to swap in PCI cards like
35 > crazy. I don't remember now how many SATA drivers are built in and
36 > how many are modules; if the commodity box needs SATA drivers which
37 > aren't built in, that could get tricky. Are there boot command line
38 > options to preload certain modules? Might not do me any good. I
39 > think I could scrape by with USB modules, but not SATA.
42 Not possible. You need an initrd or a new kernel. How about compiling a
43 new kernel on a different box and using a memory stick for grub + /boot?
44
45 > For the curious, here is wat happened. When I left off last night,
46 > the USB keyboard was only recognized when I unplugged all other USB
47 > devices, and the system hung at the grub point, with a blank screen.
48 >
49 > A reboot failed because it couldn't find the root=/dev/sde drive.
50 > But the USB keyboard was working because I used it in grub to select
51 > a new 3.7.0 kernel (had been running 3.6.8).
52 >
53 > A second reboot ignored the USB keyboard and generated an ATA error I
54 > had never seen before for every ATA drive and some I don't have, all
55 > the way up to ATA13 before I rebooted it again. I haven't got it to
56 > boot even this far since, so I can't regenerate that error. There
57 > was a 5 second or so delay between these errors, making me think the
58 > ATAnn designator might not be different drives, just retries.
60
61 Could be your south bridge. If you want to keep the system, try a
62 different board.
63
64 Regards,
65 Florian Philipp