From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:35:19
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Gentoo is the best distribution I have used (I haven't used too many:
4 > ubuntu, fedora, gentoo). I love the USE flags. I love watching (and
5 > questioning) what is going to be installed. I love emerge.
6 > Supposedly gentoo lacks being able to have a system "just work"
7 > without thinking about anything. But in my experience on linux, this
8 > simply isn't the case anywhere. With ubuntu, for example, I had
9 > trouble with sound and ethernet cards that I could never figure out...
10 > and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane ("my
11 > uncle once said that his cousin typed this magical command and it
12 > worked fine for a little while so maybe try that").
13 >
14 > And what's the deal with these "major release versions" of the other
15 > distros? Why do that?
16 >
17 > Thank you to all the people who contribute to it... and to those who
18 > are giving great advice/solutions on this list!
19 >
20 > Chris
23 Like Paul and many others I've never looked back. I'm no power user,
24 and contrary to a lot of the press out there I don't think you need to
25 be to use this distro. Just be careful and red a bit. I've been
26 helping a long time trading partner friend of mine with his move to
27 Gentoo over the last year. He's hardly using native Windows anymore.
28 He just runs a bunch of VMs like I do.
29
30 Don't go doing anything crazy with your use flags. Yeah, they are
31 cool, but my experience, especially in the beginning, is that less is
32 more. I only have about 10 in make.conf on any of the 10 or so
33 machines we have in our family now. I add a few in package.use when
34 I'm forced to. Other than that KISS.
35
36 Good luck & welcome to the family.
37