From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Opinions on Host's Decision Please
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:45:05
1 Grant wrote:
2 > That sounds awesome from a DIY perspective, but this server provides
3 > 100% of my income and I feel like it should be hosted. Maybe I'm
4 > wrong. Does anyone else house a money-critical server in their home?
7 Hours Comcast was down last year: 140 (random outages)
8 Hours my VPS was down last year: .5 (planned hardware upgrade)
9
10 Available peak bandwidth outbound on Cable: 768 kb/s
11 Available peak bandwidth outbound on VPS: > 100 Mb/s
12
13 Cable statis IP on black lists: yes
14 VPS Statis IP's on black lists: no
15
16 Total outbound traffic possible on 768 kb/s cable in a month: 250 GB
17 Total outbound traffic with my VPS plan: 2TB
18
19 If you're hosting your own blog or other nonsense do it at home. If
20 you're making money off your site or have reasons for it not to be down,
21 don't host it at home.
22
23 kashani
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list