From: "Crístian Viana" <cristiandeives@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can't create file but disk isn't full
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 04:03:29
1 thanks! I'll set it to 0% then.
2
3 On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>wrote:
4
5 > On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 07:39:01PM -0300, Crístian Viana wrote:
6 > > what exactly is this reserved block count? is it about the number of
7 > inodes?
8 > > does that mean that, by default, regular users can only use 95% of the
9 > > inodes? and why did I use all these inodes? I don't think I have that
10 > many
11 > > small files on this partition...
12 >
13 > When the filesystem fills up, services can start failing left and
14 > right because they cannot write logs, cannot write temp files, etc. At
15 > this point human intervention is necessary: root has to log in and
16 > clear out the disk. But if the $ROOT filesystem is completely full,
17 > one may not even be able to log in and/or that one cannot do any sort
18 > of maintenance that is needed. So you have some sort of circularity.
19 > (In which case you have to reboot, perhaps using another medium...)
20 >
21 > The way out is to reserve some breathing room for root so that when
22 > everybody else is having problems he can still get in and fix the
23 > problem.
24 >
25 > The 5% is historical from days when disks are much smaller. If you
26 > have a sensible partition scheme you only really need to reserve the
27 > blocks on the $ROOT filesystem. If the partition in question (IIRC) is
28 > only for /home, then you can just turn off the reserved blocks all
29 > together.
30 >
31 > Cheers,
32 >
33 > W
34 > --
35 > Willie W. Wong
36 > wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
37 > Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
38 > et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton