From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Touchscreen does not react
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:12:10
1 On 23 Nov 2008, at 22:07, Robert Bridge wrote:
2 >>> ...
3 >>>> (http://210.64.17.162/web20/TouchKitDriver/linuxDriver.htm)
4 >>>
5 >>> Please provide URLs by domain name, I will NEVER click on an IP
6 >>> based URL, unless I explicitly trust the provider.
7 >>
8 >> Is
9 >> <http://sw64-17-162.adsl.seed.net.tw/web20/TouchKitDriver/linuxDriver.htm
10 >> >
11 >> really any more assuring to you? ;)
12 >
13 > No, but I didn't bother even looking... ;)
14 >
15 > And a healthy dose of paranoia with links is always a good idea.
16
17 Yeah, but if someone gives you a domain-based URL, how paranoid are
18 you over checking its trustworthiness?
19
20 Do you say "I've never been to that domain before, so I won't trust it?"
21 That effectively prevents you browsing the web, beyond the MSN
22 homepage that came preinstalled on your computer.
23
24 Do you check the spelling of every URL you consider visiting?
25 Just one character of "typo" in the domain of a URL could find you
26 redirected to a fraudulent site. So you must check every URL carefully.
27
28 Really, domain-based URLs are better than IP-based ones because they
29 allow the owner to move a site's IP without changing it's addy. They
30 are therefore likely to have better longevity. But I am somewhat
31 dubious of your security concerns.
32
33 Stroller.