From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo older versions
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 18:48:41
1 * Nitin Kanaskar (nitinvk04@×××××.com) [02.05.09 19:15]:
2 > Ok - I am not clear about the terminology -
3 > packages, versions...
4 > But i need to install gentoo 2004/2005 - if this
5 > is right. I am a graduate student doing research on
6 > vulnerabilities, exploits and IDS. Hence I am looking
7 > for older gentoo installations which i know have
8 > some vulnerabilities.
9
10 > If i have to build whole OS from source, I am willing
11 > to do that - but could not find any resource on that
12 > old stuff.
15 Are you totally aware of what gentoo is about?
16
17 You always build the Gentoo OS from source. From upstream source! That's
18 the hole point of gentoo. And since you are able to do a vast amount of
19 choices, I think there is no gentoo installation alike in the world,
20 especially when it comes to binaries.
21
22 Also there is no defined set of software versions, which could make a
23 version of gentoo, as the binary dist have. Everything is in fluent
24 change and update. So there are no "old" installations exept those
25 someone forgot over the time.
26
27 > Hope I am clear about why I am looking for
28 > such old stuff.
31 Gentoo could be helpful to build such old stuff, the ebuilds are all in
32 the cvs and if you have got the upstream tarball, you can easily rebuild
33 the vulnerable software. But beware of some nasty depandency problems.
34
35 Sebastian
38 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " | _ ASCII ribbon campaign
39 Karl Marx | ( ) against HTML e-mail
40 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER | X against M$ attachments
41 mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de | / \ www.asciiribbon.org