From: Sam Bishop <sam@××××××.email>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Question: The feasibility of a complete portage binhost
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:43:40
1 On 21 January 2015 at 22:44, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Sam Bishop <sam@××××××.email> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I don't see why it can't be all the combinations, the issue is
5 >> storage, and the storage costs could be a lot lower than expected
6 >> given how hard it is to guess.
7 >
8 > I don't believe that binpkg filenames contain the use flag settings,
9 > and I'm not sure that given multiple copies of a binpkg with different
10 > filenames portage goes through them and figures out which ones are
11 > which. This isn't an area I have looked into seriously. However, it
12 > obviously would be a blocker for getting what you propose to work,
13 > even theoretically.
16 I'll quote from the binpkg docs:
17 >> Next to these, portage will check if the binary package is built using the same USE flags as expected on the client. If a package is built with a different USE flag combination, portage will either ignore the binary package (and use source-based build) or fail, depending on the options passed on to emerge
18
19 So I'm fairly sure that implies they can coexist based on the
20 directory structure. -
21 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide#The_PKGDIR_layout
22
23 One big concern would be having a HUGE Packages metadata file and
24 making the look up too slow. I'm not sure how big that file could get
25 before things became an issue.
26 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide#Pulling_packages_from_a_binary_package_host
29 > I don't really see the value in having EVERY combination of use flags
30 > on call though.
31 >
32 > Practically speaking I doubt this could be done. You're talking about
33 > a LOT of combinations.
34 >
35 > However, I think it would be very useful to have a binpkg repository
36 > all the same. Perhaps have one for each of a few common profiles with
37 > the default flags. That alone would be a significant undertaking.
38 >
39 > Just about everybody who has talked about running Gentoo in a
40 > datacenter has set up a binpkg repository. They may very well deviate
41 > from the default USE flags, but for the most part they try to keep
42 > their systems identical. They would build updates as binpkg, install
43 > to a test system, and after testing deploy them to production and that
44 > would of course go quickly.
45 >
46 > I have a script I use to build binpkg nightly for the day's updates.
47 > That lets me review updates and deploy them quickly. Any rebuilds/etc
48 > still take time, but the bulk of my updates are very fast this way
49 > with minimal time spent staring at the screen. This would be another
50 > route to take if your really did need highly varied deployments.
51 >
52 > --
53 > Rich