From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Any centralized documentation on qemu-kvm?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 05:21:49
1 On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 21:15 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > On 07/13/2010 08:54 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > Before anybody asks...
4 > > 1) VirtualBox manages to do a hard locup on my Intel I3
5 > > 2) qemu depends on softmmu, which requires gcc 3.x
6 > >
7 > > So I installed qemu-kvm (different from qemu). The documentation that
8 > > I've found via Google is out-of-date/irrelavant. I know that there is a
9 > > "kvm" command, and typing "qemu{TAB}{TAB}" gives me...
10 > >
11 > > waltdnes@i3 ~ $ qemu
12 > > qemu qemu-io qemu-system-x86_64
13 > > qemu-i386 qemu-kvm qemu-x86_64
14 > > qemu-img qemu-nbd
15 > >
16 > > Of the 9 commands, only qemu, qemu-img, and qemu-nbd have man pages.
17 > > So RTFM becomes a little harder<G>. Are there any up-to-date central
18 > > locations for qemu-kvm documentation?
19 >
20 > Well, wait a sec. I track both qemu and qemu-kvm from their git repositories
21 > rather than the gentoo packages, so YMMV.
22 >
23 > One potentially very confusing thing between the two products is that the
24 > primary command-line program for qemu is (what else?) "qemu", but for qemu-kvm
25 > the primary command-line program is qemu-system-x86_64. (Only 64-bit machines
26 > with hardware virtualization support will run qemu-kmv, AFAIK.)
27 >
28 > BUT BEWARE: both qemu and qemu-kvm supply a file named qemu-system-x86_64, and
29 > they are not at all the same file, so you cannot have both packages installed in
30 > the same --prefix. (I don't know how gentoo resolves that conflict.)
31 >
32 > I install the git version of qemu in /usr/local, and qemu-kvm in /home/wa1ter,
33 > so I have to be careful to type the --prefix when I run one or the other.
34 >
35 > qemu-kvm does not supply a command named 'qemu', so there is no name conflict
36 > in that particular case. If you type 'qemu-system-x86_64', however, you will
37 > get completely different results depending on which package you are actually
38 > executing, so watch it!
39 >
40 > AFAICT, the command-line flags for 'qemu' and 'qemu-system-x86_64' are identical
41 > at least for simple stuff, though I never use the super-anal-compulsive flags
42 > for complicated networking/bridging/firewalling stuff, so I can't comment on it.
43 >
44 > My impression from experience is that qemu-img is the same for both packages,
45 > but I'm careful anyway to use the matching version, just in case.
46 >
47 > For the short term, I'd say you can use the regular qemu docs for looking up what
48 > command-line flags to use with qemu-kvm. If you find any exceptions, please let
49 > us know.
53 Coming in late, if qemu is different to qemu-kvm, what is different
54 about running "qemu --enable-kvm" - "man qemu", v0.11.1.
55
56 As you say, documentation on this stuff is a bit lacking.
57
58 BillK