From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remove gnome/systemd
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:42:49
1 On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 23:20 +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
2 > Am Tue, 12 Sep 2017 17:55:22 +0200
3 > schrieb Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>:
4 >
5 > > 2. emerge -C gnome networkmanager
6 >
7 > You don't need to uninstall networkmanager except you want to
8 > uninstall
9 > it for some other reasons. It doesn't need gnome or systemd.
10
11 Right. It's only personal preferences (startup scripts are plain enough
12 here, no need for dynamic reconfiguration).
15 > > 5. emerge -N lxde-meta
16 >
17 > I'd prefer Xfce, but that's a matter of taste. As far as I know LXDE
18 > isn't developed any more in favor of LXQt.
19
20 I might give Xfce a try. I did not find any definitive resource on the
21 web stating that LXDE is dead. There are some recent commits on the
22 sourceforge repo so it looks still alive (although not kickin').
25 > > 6. emerge -N xdm openrc anacron sysklogd sysvinit
26 >
27 > You don't need to install sysvinit explicitly. It's a dependency of
28 > openrc.
29 >
30 > Instead of anacron I'd suggest fcron. It has all the features of both
31 > cron and anacron.
32
33 That was a mistake on my part, actually I was using vixie-cron. It's a
34 24/7 online machine.
37 > Instead of sysklogd I would use syslog-ng. I don't remember the
38 > reasons.
39
40 Probably I was using the same here, thanks for reminding me.
41
42 > Instead of xdm you'd better try slim or lightdm. Lightdm doesn't need
43 > systemd either, except if you want to use multiseat with it.
44
45 I used xdm (although it looks ugly) because I need a DM that updates
46 the wtmp file and lxdm was not. Do you know if slim/lightdm support it?
47 I did some research at the time but I forgot.
50 > Then you should replace udev by eudev and put USE="-gnome -systemd"
51 > into your USE flags in /etc/portage/make.conf.
52 >
53 > Just to be absolutely sure put this line into
54 > your /etc/portage/make.conf, too:
55 > INSTALL_MASK="/lib/systemd /lib32/systemd /lib64/systemd
56 > /usr/lib/systemd /usr/lib32/systemd /usr/lib64/systemd /etc/systemd"
57 >
58 > Heiko