From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Using another System
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:41:20
1 quoth the Randy Barlow:
2 > One more question - I'd like to install Gentoo on a very old and small
3 > system that doesn't have a CD-ROM, or even an IDE cable that can connect
4 > two drives. Can I put the harddrive from that system on my normal
5 > desktop and install as normal onto that drive? The old system has a
6 > very different and old processor from my normal Gentoo system (it's a
7 > Cyrix MediaGX MMX Enhanced according to /proc/cpuinfo with a whopping 16
8 > kB of cache!) Any problems doing something like this on a modern system
9 > that I haven't thought about?
10 >
11 > R
12
13 Should be OK as long as the host system is an x86. I would use very
14 conservative CFLAGS. Your CHOST will likely need to be "i386-pc-linux-gnu".
15
16 There is a kernel config in "Processor family" that says "CyrixIII/Via-C3". Is
17 that what you have? If not or if you are not sure then choose plain
18 old "386".
19
20 Grub should work alright, as best as I can figure, as long as (as per the
21 guide) you install it onto the HDDs MBR.
22
23 Maybe something I am not thinking of. Just make sure that when going through
24 the guide that anything that requires CPU specific choices you remember to
25 select for your target, not the host. This may have a side-effect of not
26 booting whilst in the host, only when you move the HDD to the target machine.
27
28 Good luck!
29
30 -d
31 --
32 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
33 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
34 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list