From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 04:26:55
1 On 3 September 2017 20:11:51 GMT+02:00, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> >> My new laptop uses /dev/nvme0n1 instead of /dev/sda which
5 >conflicts
6 >> >> with the script I use to manage about 12 similar laptops running
7 >> >> Gentoo. Is there a udev method for renaming the disk that will
8 >work
9 >> >> well with any USB disks that happen to also be attached?
10 >> >>
11 >> >> crw------- 1 root root 252, 0 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0
12 >> >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1
13 >> >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1p1
14 >> >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1p2
15 >> >
16 >> > Isn't so much easier to use labels? Those are automatically
17 >available on
18 >> > /dev/disk/by-label, and you can use them in basically any type of
19 >partition,
20 >> > including Windows (NTFS and vfat) and swaps.
23 >> Do labels work with root= in grub and stuff like dd, fdisk, and mkfs?
24 >
25 >The label by itself works at boot since it's just another kernel
26 >parameter;
27 >for example in my latop (that uses NVME, by the way) uses the following
28 >in
29 >the kernel command line: "root=LABEL=Dell".
30
31 Since when does the kernel support labels? Last time I checked, you need an initramfs to make that work.
34 Joost
39 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.