From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PS/2->USB-Keyboard and the BIOS
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:14:00
1 On Friday 11 February 2011 20:15:56 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> [11-02-11 19:56]:
3 > > On Friday 11 February 2011 18:59:39 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I have a problem here...(as you may have already guessed...;)
7 > > >
8 > > > I have an old PS/2 keyboard, which I do love a lot. This PS/2-
9 > > > keyboard is connected via a Chesen Electronics Corp. PS/2
10 > > > Keyboard+Mouse Adapter to an USB-port of my ASUS Corsshair IV
11 > > > formula board.
12 > > >
13 > > > When Linux is running I have not a single problem with this setup...
14 > > > BUT entering the bootselector via F8 while BIOS is coming up is
15 > > > to 99% impossible. I managed that only once.
16 > > > On the other hand: Entering BIOS with F1 is not simple and often
17 > > > requires several boots, but it is possible.
18 > > >
19 > > > What can I do to make F8/the bootselector work?
20 > > >
21 > > > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
22 > > > Have a nice weekend!
23 > > > Best regards,
24 > > > mcc
25 > >
26 > > go into bios, turn on legacy support. Btw, are there no ps/2 ports? Oh -
27 > > and using a 'pure' usb keyboard for entering bios might be needed.
28 >
29 > Hi Volker,
30 >
31 > ...yes, there is a ps/2 port...but this keyboard is that old, that it is
32 > recommended NOT to connect the keyboard to ANY "modern" PS/2
33 > connector, since it does not comply to the standard very well.
34 > I choose exactly this adapter, because it is known to work with the
35 > keyboards "way of PS/2". If there is a little chance to enter BIOS and
36 > the BOOTSELECTOR using this keyboard I want really to avoid the hassle
37 > of having two boards connected to my PC (and wasting a USB port,
38 > too).
39 >
40 > Have a nice weekend!
41 > mcc
42
43 well, why do you need the bootselector anyway? And have you tried to connect
44 the keyboard? What could happen? blown fuse on the board?