From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:10:17
1 Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
2 > That being said: if you do a world rebuild you will have lots of packages
3 > that spend ~40 seconds doing their autoconf run, only to build 2-3 sources
4 > files. On an 8-core machine at work, I get good results using parallel
5 > emerge jobs (emerge -jX). For your 6-core AMD CPU (assuming it actually
6 > has 12 threads) I'd start with 'emerge -j3' and MAKEOPTS='-j12 -l16'.
7 > That should get you a nice speedup, but may require a bit more ram.
8
9 emerge -j3 is something I did not think of, I'll try it. But won't that break portage's
10 carefully crafted package dependencies? I suppose you could get occasional build failures?
11
12 I'm using MAKEOPTS=-j7, I thought 2 threads per CPU (hyperthreading?) was an Intel thing only.
13
14 raffaele