From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Skipping static libraries
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 21:57:54
1 On Friday 14 March 2008, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Hi folks,
3 >
4 > is there a way for telling emerge that it should NOT install
5 > static (.a) libraries ?
6
7 I shan't answer your question as I ca never find the answer myself, but
8 I keep wanting to do this myself, then I remember why portage
9 installs .a by default
10
11 A long time ago I read a HUGE thread on b.g.o. about this, the eventual
12 conclusion is that after installation of a lib, a user might well want
13 to link those libs statically and if they are not there, portage will
14 barf big time and has no way to recover or even know what went wrong.
15 Then the poor user sits in mystery wondering which package to remerge
16 to get the .a
17
18 In short, the devs at the time reckoned it was a huge risk at the
19 expense of not much disk space (does seem reasonable). Ubuntu can get
20 away with this, the user gets what the packager feels like giving them,
21 our users have *much* more freedom.
22
23 What's your reasoning for wanting to do this?
24 --
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list