From: Fei Liu <feiliu4@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with 2 partition installation from gentoo minimal system
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:51:05
1 Fei Liu wrote:
2 >
3 >> Here is the complete grub.conf file:
4 >> more /boot/grub/grub.conf
5 >> default 0
6 >> timeout 8
7 >> gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/message
8 >>
9 >> title 2.6.24.4-default
10 >> root (hd0,0)
11 >> kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1 splash=silent showopts
12 >>
13 >> /etc/fstab:
14 >> #/dev/BOOT /boot ext2
15 >> noauto,noatime 1 2
16 >> /dev/sda1 / ext3
17 >> noatime 0 1
18 >> /dev/sda2 none swap
19 >> sw 0 0
20 >> #/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom audo
21 >> noauto,ro 0 0
22 >> #/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
23 >> noauto 0 0
24 >>
25 >> shm /dev/shm tmpfs
26 >> nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
27 >>
28 >> I am looking into the SCSI file system issue.
29 >>
30 >> Fei
31 >>
32 > Error messages:
33 > ...
34 > md: ... autorun DONE
35 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
36 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
37 > partitions:
38 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
39 > unknown-block(0,0)
40 >
41 > There is one more thing, this is a vmware machine so the harddrive is
42 > a scsi harddrive.
43 >
44 > Fei
45 >
46 I finally found this page and got this stuff to work, the catch is
47 'vmware' specific feature.
48
49 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP#Kernel_Options
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list