From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 13:17:24
1 On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 11:47:35AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 11:31 on Wednesday 01 June 2011, Indi did
3 > opine thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 02:00:01AM +0200, Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > > > Personally, I'd be livid if portage were to remove my carefully crafted
7 > > > work from time immemorial, without so much as a by-your-leave. Anyone
8 > > > who wants to delete his own work is free to do so, but the rest of us
9 > > > ought not to be required to suffer it.
10 > >
11 > > Doesn't matter to me, my longstanding rsync habit ensures there are
12 > > always a couple of copies of my last known good configuration.
13 > > Doesn't your carefully crafted work from time immemorial deserve
14 > > rsync too? [cue rsync jingle]
15 > >
16 > > :)
17 >
18 > That's like saying that just because I have panel-beating skills and lots of
19 > scrap metal in the back yard that it's perfectly OK for marauding gangs of
20 > thugs to have at my car in the parking lots with baseball bats.
23 Comapring a simple rsync command with hard physical labor?
24 Nah...
27 caveat utilitor