From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypted backups under Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:17:56
1 On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 17:54 +0200, Jan Seeger wrote:
2 > As per the subject:
3 >
4 > I use luks-crypt to encrypt my home directory. Of course I would like
5 > to make backups. These must, of course, also be encrypted. I have
6 > tried duplicity, but when many changes have occured, this is
7 > unbearably slow (being on a laptop). What would be the best solution
8 > to back up with encryption barring duplicity?
9 >
10 > Regards,
11 > Jan Seeger
12
13 I personally use dar and gpg. Dar can be used to make incremental
14 backups which should partly solve your speed problem. Alternatively you
15 could use tar and gpg or cpio or whatever floats your boat.
16
17 The alternative would be an encrypted filesystem and rdiff-backup or
18 rsync. Optionally you could safe the key to the filesystem on your home
19 partition or, if it doesn't need to be automated, in a gpg-encrypted
20 file.
21
22 Let me know if you are interested in any of these options so I can
23 explain the details further (if you need support with that, that is).