From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying settings from Konqueror-3.5 to 4.3
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:17:49
1 This is getting rather long, but for those who are trying to find the
2 same solutions please read on.
3
4 2009/10/23 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
5 > 2009/10/23 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
6 >> On Friday 23 October 2009 11:03:27 you wrote:
7 >>> 2009/10/23 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
8 >>> > akonadi is in a transition stage right now. Eventually it will deal with
9 >>> > all your pim backends natively but for the moment it simply acts as a
10 >>> > proxy between kmail and the backend using pimlibs just the way kmail used
11 >>> > to do.
12 >>> >
13 >>> > Check the akonadi config and tell it to use the existing addressbook file
14 >>> > instead of whatever database-related settings it currently has.
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks Alan,
17 >>>
18 >>> I don't seem to have an akonadi config file that I can find anywhere
19 >>> under .kde4/  What is it called?
20 >>
21 >> I have no idea :-)
22 >>
23 >> I used the akonaditray gui and navigated to the traditional KDE flat files
24 >> (the ones listed as kresources)
25 >
26 > This is a problem for me - I am using Fluxbox and there is no
27 > akonaditray gui shown ... may have to run startkde.
28
29 Started kde4 from a terminal and went to System Settings and added
30 /usr/bin/sqlite3 as the Akonadi command, but nothing much changed.
31 So, for now I am giving up on Akonadi.
32
33 >>> Also, I can't find my existing addressbook file ...
34 >>
35 >> That one gets confusing, you'll likely find files with names like
36 >> "kaddressbook" and "kabc". I run "grep -ir" to look for an unusual name in the
37 >> addressbook to find the files (just don't include your maildirs in the search
38 >> directory ;-)  )
39 >
40 > Yes, I have found these two but they only have a couple of settings in
41 > them, not the addressbook contents.
42
43 I tried to import old KDE2 address book settings from within the KDE4
44 address book and it failed - couldn't find it in KDE3.5. However, I
45 then opened my eyes properly, searched better and found
46 .kde3.5/share/apps/kabc/ which contains, as Alan kindly suggested, my
47 address book data. Copied it over, deleted the old
48 .kde3.5/share/apps/kabc/lock directory and now the KDE4 kmail lists
49 all my address book entries! Yes! :-)
50
51 Also, I found a solution to the kmail filters - I opened the filters
52 tab in kmail4 and used the import button, pointed it to the 3.5
53 kmailrc and it imported them all fine. Very pleased. :-)
54
55 > Another question please:  The 3.5 Konqueror Introduction page used to
56 > have a hyperlink for opening media.  In there I would find USB sticks
57 > that I could mount via hald.  With KDE4 there is no Media:/ shown -
58 > how can I add it?
59
60 Haven't cracked this one yet. Running media:/ gives me an error:
61 "Protocol not supported". Dolphin shows USB devices on the left hand
62 menu/panel, but Konqueror wont. Any ideas welcome. :-)
63 --
64 Regards,
65 Mick