From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel config thingy, "make menuconfig"
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 05:14:11
1 tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-01-15 21:04-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Grant Taylor wrote:
5 >>> On 1/15/22 7:47 AM, tastytea wrote:
6 >>>> Did you know you can search with / and then jump to the results
7 >>>> with the number keys?
8 >>> I've been using the search for decades*.  But I didn't know about
9 >>> the number keys to jump until reading this message and trying it.
10 >>> #TIL
11 >>>
12 >>> *Yes, I've been using Linux for more than two decades.  It's been my
13 >>> primary desktop for almost all of that time too.
14 >> You are not alone Grant.  I started with my first puter back in 2003
15 >> and I had no idea about the number thing.  I gave it a test run and
16 >> gosh darn it, it worked.  That's a lot better than trying to hunt the
17 >> thing down.
18 > I only learned about it a few years ago, after more than 10 years of
19 > compiling kernels. Maybe someone s
25 I think you got cut off up there.  O_o
26
27 This is one thing about this list.  I'm always finding some tidbit of
28 info that makes something easier.  My problem, remembering it.  I
29 generally follow a thread even when I have no clue what a person is
30 talking about because it is a package that I've never even heard of.
31 Sometimes I learn something, sometimes I might even be able to post
32 about a different view point to solve a problem.  Still, I follow about
33 every post, just in case I might find something of value or can maybe
34 help in some small way.
35
36 I'm about to work on dovecote again.  It's something I'm totally
37 clueless about.  I think I got the config setup because I can start the
38 service without it puking on my keyboard.  Thing is, I have no idea what
39 to do with it after that.  I had trouble setting up Seamonkey to get my
40 emails from gmail.  I had to google and look at pics and such.
41 Eventually my hammer found the right nail.  Thing about this list, I'll
42 get help because there is likely a lot of people on here who use
43 Dovecote and know what to do.
44
45 Yep, this is a awesome list, for getting help, learning new things or
46 giving help to someone else.  What's so neat, everyone does it with a
47 healthy dose of respect, even when dealing with some strange characters,
48 like me.  Then we have Neil with his funny and sometimes odd signature
49 lines.  I like the recent one about the cannibals and the clowns.  ROFL
50
51 Dale
52