From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc but no cc
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 07:49:09
1 The install for gcc 4.8.2 flaked out a bit (libgcc_s.so.1 went missing,
2 during the file installation phase, and therefore bash invocations failed
3 with missing library errors and i later found that libstdc++.so.6 was also
4 missing). I have since extracted those files from gcc-4.8.2.tbz2 (because
5 FEATURES="buildsyspkg"), and gcc-config has run cleanly, but i now notice i
6 dont have cc. Is it a link/symlink? If so what's the details?
7
8 Also given this is the second time i've had a gcc installation killing
9 libraries, I quite like the idea of having a static bash. Since there's no
10 "static" use flag, i'm thinking package.env will have
11 app-shells/bash static.conf
12
13 and env/static.conf will be;
14 CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -static"
15
16 Is there a significant downside to that approach for a machine with plenty
17 of RAM?