From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help with IPv6, please
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 18:12:04
1 On Friday, 6 December 2019 17:42:44 GMT Ralph Seichter wrote:
2
3 > ULA support, or rather the ability to assign additional static IPv6
4 > addresses to an interface, depends on the router's firmware. If you can
5 > make it work, https://cd34.com/rfc4193/ can help you generate a ULA
6 > prefix.
7
8 I can't apply a ULA to my router, but it's given me a /128 address which I can
9 use in DNS.
10
11 > ULA allows for fixed addresses, while SLAAC-based addresses expire and
12 > can contain random components, and that's why static name-to-address
13 > mappings generally use ULA.
14
15 I haven't looked into SLAAC yet, but meanwhile I've sorted out addresses for
16 my LAN hosts using the delegation prefix and an arbitrary host number 1 to 6.
17
18 Ping6 and nslookup both work, both locally and to remote hosts.
19
20 Thanks again for your help! Now for shorewall6 :)
23 Regards,
24 Peter.