From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mounts options on a laptop
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:31:52
1 Am 05.03.2011 11:48, schrieb Stéphane Guedon:
2 > I have a laptop, it works quite good, but I would like to improve battery
3 > length.
4 >
5 > The fact is that, out of the classical options (kernel custom, KDE battery
6 > management...), there's no information about disk mount options, whereas it
7 > eat a lot of power.
8 >
9 > my current mount :
10 >
11 > rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
12 > /dev/root on / type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
13 > /dev/shm on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
14 > /dev/sda7 on /var type reiserfs (rw)
15 > /dev/sda8 on /media/musique type vfat (rw,uid=0,gid=18,umask=007)
16 > /dev/sda2 on /windows type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
17 > /dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw,user_xattr,commit=0)
18 >
19 > and sda5 as swap.
20 >
21 > how to make it better ? (I know reiserfs is not a good idea, but at the moment
22 > of building the system, it seamed good for little files/DB...)
23 >
24 > I have read of mounting part of /var as tmpfs... ?
27 /var as tmpfs is not a good idea. There are lots of persistent files in
28 there. If you want to be standard-conformant, you cannot even mount
29 /var/tmp as tmpfs because its content is also meant to survive reboots.
30 You can still do it though and mounting /tmp as tmpfs is completely okay.
31
32 Your choice of filesystem has little or no effect. You could proably
33 argue that JFS needs less CPU resources than for example ReiserFS but
34 that really doesn't matter.
35
36 What you really want is app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
37
38 Hope this helps,
39 Florian Philipp