From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing a printer to XP: Samba vs IPP
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:33:09
1 On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, David Blamire-Brown <
2 david@××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 > This is a question about a small home network set-up for printing. I can't
6 > tell if this is OT for this list, but that doesn't seem to be a firm
7 > restriction in this part of the world in any case!
8 >
9 > I have a locally attached printer on a Gentoo machine. I have a Windows XP
10 > laptop. I would like to print from my XP laptop over the network to the
11 > printer.
12 > I have followed the guide on gentoo.org. I've sort of got printing working
13 > via Samba, but haven't been able to configure it for XP users to print
14 > without having to login to Samba. So I'm looking back at using IPP on the XP
15 > laptop.
16 >
17 > Anyway, the main question is, is Samba a preferred option, or is it just
18 > more complicated than using IPP? There are a couple of brief lines about
19 > printing via IPP in the Gentoo Printing Guide, but a whole separate guide on
20 > using Samba. I can't find any information on use of IPP vs Samba via a brief
21 > Google, but maybe I'm just not searching very well.
22 >
23 > Regards,
24 > David
25 > --
26 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
29 It sounds like you need to enable guest and public access to the printer.
30 Here is an older guide, but it seems to have the relevant stuff you need:
31 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=110931
32
33 These lines:
34
35 public = yes
36 guest ok = yes
37
38 Check out the guide for the appropriate places to put them.
41 - Mark Shields