From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:46:03
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Monday, December 29, 2014 03:38:40 AM lee wrote:
4 >> "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
5 >> > What do you mean with "unusable"?
6 >>
7 >> The bridge swallows the physical port, and the port becomes
8 >> unreachable. IIRC, you can get around this by assigning an IP address
9 >> to the bridge rather than to the physical port ... In any case, I'm
10 >> finding bridges very confusing.
11 >
12 > This is by design and is documented that way all over the web.
13
14 Nonetheless, I find them very confusing.
15
16 >> >> > pass virtual NICs to the VMs which are part of the bridges.
17 >> >>
18 >> >> Doesn't that create more CPU load than passing the port?
19 >> >
20 >> > Do you have an IOMMU on the host?
21 >> > I don't notice any significant increase in CPU-usage caused by the network
22 >> > layer.
23 >>
24 >> Yes, and the kernel turns it off. Apparently it's expected to be more
25 >> advantageous for some reason to use software emulation instead.
26 >
27 > Huh? That is usually because of a bug in the firmware on your server.
28
29 Dunno, the kernel turned it off, so I read up about it and what I found
30 indicated that using a software emulation of NUMA is supposed to to
31 better --- make it sense or not.
32
33 BTW, there's a kernel option to make the kernel adjust processes for
34 better performance on NUMA systems. Does that work fine, or should I
35 rather use numad?
36
37 >> >> And at some
38 >> >> point, you may saturate the bandwidth of the port.
39 >> >
40 >> > And how is this different from assigning the network interface directly?
41 >>
42 >> With more physical ports, you have more bandwidth available.
43 >
44 > See following:
45 >
46 >> >> My switch supports bonding, which means I have a total of 4Gbit/s between
47 >> >> the server and switch for all networks. (using VLANs)
48 >>
49 >> I don't know if mine does.
50 >
51 > If bandwidth is important to you, investing in a quality switch might be more
52 > useful.
53
54 Unfortunately, they can be rather expensive.
55
56 >> > Unless you are forced to use some really weird configuration utility for
57 >> > the network, configuring a bridge and assiging the bridge in the
58 >> > xen-domain config file is simpler then assigning physical network
59 >> > interfaces.
60 >>
61 >> Hm, how is that simpler? And how do you keep the traffic separated when
62 >> everything goes over the same bridge? What about pppoe connections?
63 >
64 > Multiple bridges?
65
66 And how is that simpler? Isn't that somewhat unsafe since the bridge
67 reaches into the host? Why would I set up a bridge, assign an interface
68 to it, use special firewall rules and whatever else might be required
69 instead of simply giving the physical port to the VM which does the
70 pppoe connection and the firewalling and routing?
71
72 More bridges are more confusing.
73
74 You're kinda suggesting that it's simpler to live on an island which has
75 50 bridges connecting it to some mainland where you have to go every day
76 for work than it is to work on the island. That seems to me like taking
77 a long detour every day.
81 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
82 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.