From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 02:26:22
1 On 30/11/14 07:30, Marc Stuermer wrote:
2 > Am 29.11.2014 um 11:11 schrieb Pandu Poluan:
3 >
4 >> What do you think, people? Shouldn't we offer them our eudev project to
5 >> assist?
6 >
7 > After studying their home pages so far I came to the conclusion, that I
8 > cannot take "Devuan" serious. It still feels more like a prank to me
9 > than a serious thing.
10 >
11 > First the name "Veteran Unix Admins collective" sounds strange. Nobody
12 > ever heared of them before, they don't have any kind of information on
13 > the web before that announcement of the fork showed up.
14 >
15 > Second: they are already asking for donations.
16 >
17 > Third, but most important reason: no names on their f***ing pages. Why?
18 > If I would fork a project I would mention popular names right from the
19 > beginning to gain a serious momentum! This has not happened here at all.
20 >
21 > Who are those people? Whose behind this so called "fork"? That's a thing
22 > that's still lurking somewhere in the shadows.
23 >
24 > Especially the fact, that they don't mention any names at all on their
25 > project pages is something that's really strange to say at last.
26 >
27 > So unless those people behind the shadows are coming out of the dark and
28 > going to solidify it's just something many people would like to happen,
29 > of course - but without any substance at all.
30 >
31 > That's why I am skeptical about all of this created buzz around it and
32 > seriously doubt if they are going to be able to deliver.
35 maybe, maybe not.
36
37 I read "Veteran Unix Admins collective" as a category that old style
38 admin types fall into - the background being that systemd is essentially
39 the old guard, do things based on experience and good practice vs the
40 new guard whose use case is throw away vm's that are not expected to
41 hang around, we don't care" amateurs. I am a native English speaker,
42 maybe that's why you missed it?
43
44 They do make the point that they didn't really have a long term plan to
45 fork ... they tried to work within the system but have just now decided
46 that its not going to work so "fork". I think its a case of watch this
47 space as they are just getting organised and have a lot to attend to at
48 very short notice.
49
50 Implications? - will gentoo fork if push comes to shove? - using this
51 example I hope so ... I am already really annoyed that by default
52 systemd and apps designed to work with it leave traces on openrc based
53 systems.
54
55 BillK