From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best way to copy /* ?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:03:50
1 On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Monday 27 December 2010 09:38:42 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 >>
6 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > if you don't use ACL (and if you don't know what I am talking about, you
8 >> > don't use them):
9 >> > cp -auv
10 >>
11 >> Maybe
12 >>
13 >> cp -auvx
14 >>
15 >> ?
16 >>
17 >> Just asking,
18 >> Mark
19 >
20 > if you are copying a life-sytem -x is needed. Indeed.
21 > But if you boot from a cd and mount source and destination on different mount
22 > points x is not needed.
25 Ah, good point.
26
27 I wasn't thinking about 'live' so much as just a complicated system
28 with multiple hard drives/partitions. For instance, copying /home
29 where here are links to other partitions for /home/users1,
30 /home/user2, etc. I wouldn't want to copy those other users along with
31 /home/user3 that resides on the /home partition physically.
32
33 Thanks for the clarification,
34 Mark