From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade query
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:26:06
1 On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 20:01:31 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 21 July 2011 10:01:10 jdm@××××××××××××.uk wrote:
5 > > A little advice please? I am about to build a new box going from
6 > > athlon dual core to phenom six core. Including new sata drives and
7 > > motherboard. I was going to clone all my partitions and the re
8 > > emerged all packages with march native
9 >
10 > > Firstly would you reccommend cloning and if so what is best
11 > > technology?
12 > >
13 > > Second is a complete reinstall a better option or safer?
16 > are you using ACLs?
17 >
18 > if not a good old cp -auv is sufficient.
19 >
20 > But.. why clone the system? This is a good chance to get rid of cruft
21 > and forgotten packages. A clean installation (and copied /etc) might
22 > not be a bad choice.
25 Thanks Gentoo.
26
27 A combination of a new install, rsyncing all personal data,
28 distfiles, /etc has worked wonders. Its nice to see that it is quicker
29 to install Gentoo and get it up and running pretty much as previously
30 than installing another well known operating system which took hours to
31 download updates and hours of searching the web for right drivers. And
32 this is totally free. LONG LIVE GENTOO