From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads Up - glibc-2.27 breaks my system
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 15:11:59
1 Am Samstag, 3. Februar 2018, 10:50:53 CET schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
2 > On 02/03/2018 06:54:06 AM, Dale wrote:
3 > > While on this topic, I have a question about glibc. I have it set in
4 > > make.conf to save the binary packages. Generally I use it when I need
5 > > to go back shortly after a upgrade, usually Firefox or something.
6 > > However, this package is different since going back a version isn't a
7 > > good idea. My question tho, what if one does go back a version using
8 > > those saved binary packages? Has anyone ever did it and it work or
9 > > did
10 > > it and it fail miserably?
11 >
12 > I've tried to binary emerge my previous version. This didn't succeed
13 > since
14 > the ebuild disallows downgrading glibc.
15 >
16 > Luckily I had backuped my system just 20 hours ago.
17
18 Having up-to-date backups is always good :) .
19
20 > Does anybody know how to restore ONLY those files which are
21 > more recent on the target file system.
22 > (My whole back is 124 Gb large which is a lot to copy back)
23
24 If you can access the backups like a normal file system, then using rsync with
25 the --update option looks to me like what you want:
26
27 "-u, --update skip files that are newer on the receiver".
28
29 > Many thanks for a hint,
30 > Helmut
31
32 HTH
33 --
34 Marc Joliet
35 --
36 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
37 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup