From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kworldclock & KDE 4.3.1
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 15:54:31
1 I asked this before without any response (smile).
2
3 Kworldclock 3.5.10 is a useful little app, but is absent from 4.3.1 .
4 I've found 2 versions of the problem :
5 KDE bug 184088 , which suggests the problem is Gentoo packaging ;
6 Gentoo forum
7
8 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-787140-highlight-kworldclock.html?sid=bc3747cb7a2906acb862ce70e686a936
9
10 which refers to Gentoo bug 280834 .
11 A bug search of Gentoo for 'kworldclock' yields 'zarro'.
12
13 Bug 280834 solves the poster's problem (how to add it to the KDE desktop),
14 but implies that that is how you have to use it in KDE 4 ,
15 ie there is no equivalent of running 'kworldclock' in KDE 3 .
16
17 As I don't (want to) use the KDE 4 desktop (I use Fluxbox instead),
18 this suggests I'm stuck with keeping the KDE 3 version around,
19 if I want a quick + simple way of seeing how the planet is lit up
20 & -- much more important -- finding local time for major cities
21 (I used it recently when needing to phone someone in New Zealand).
22
23 Is it possible to get Marble to show the effects of Kworldclock ?
24 Is there any other similar app from outside KDE ?
25 -- Xearth shows light/dark, but not current local times AFAIK.
26
27 I plan to file bugs with KDE + Gentoo,
28 but want to be sure of the situation before doing so.
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca