From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often do you reboot?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 01:17:54
1 On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:08:58 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > That's just sensible, although a new combination is more likely to
4 > > fail because of the kernel than the init thingy.
7 > The kernel loaded, it was late in the process, about or at the time the
8 > switch root is supposed to happen, that it failed. I might add, I
9 > rebuilt the init thingy, rebooted it just fine. I didn't touch the
10 > kernel. It was the init thingy that failed. If it was the kernel, it
11 > would have failed the 2nd time as well until I rebuilt the kernel. I
12 > was checking to see which failed. What went wrong, don't know. I just
13 > know it failed to boot properly. Odd thing is, I had booted with that
14 > one before. It worked but then failed on the next boot up. Still, I
15 > keep a couple old kernels just for that. If just one works, I can work
16 > on the others.
17
18 I'm not saying the init thingy didn't fail in your case, just that that
19 is the less likely scenario... at least for anyone but you ;-)
20
21 > > You should try building your own. It's explained in the kernel docs
22 > > and is a simple process. Once you have done it yourself a few times,
23 > > you'll feel far more comfortable with the whole idea; then you can go
24 > > back to doing it the lazy way.
25
26 > Already tried it. I never got it to work. I practically copy and
27 > pasted the thing and it sort of did like the Gentoo one that failed. It
28 > got to a point and failed. I googled and found the same type of errors
29 > but the solutions just didn't work for me. I got tired of spending time
30 > on it and kept booting without the init thingy. Then dracut came
31 > along. So far, it's only failed once. < Dale says a prayer >
32
33 Oh, dracut is certainly easier. But building your own gives a greater
34 understanding of the process. I did it for a while, and it took a few
35 tries to get it working (putting "set -x" at the top of init helps). I
36 use dracut now.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 What you don't know can hurt you, only you won't know it.