From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: default stage3 (was : [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?)
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:49:27
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > no, I want an installation, that filters out everybody too dumb to read the
3 > fucking manual.
4
5 Where do you draw the line? Someday we're going to have real reverse
6 dependecy checking, fixing, etc. So any idiot can blindly update x
7 package and not have to realize that it was a major upgrade and manually
8 check all his packages that depend on it and upgrade/rebuild those
9 packages and restart the services. Is that too idiot proof?
10
11 You say coddling idiots, I say fixing broken or overly complicated
12 processes.
13
14 On a mailing list you're going to get questions stupid and otherwise.
15 If you're not prepared to deal with this, unsubscribe or figure out how
16 to use the delete button. I don't use Linux as a desktop so I generally
17 delete 60-70% of the traffic in gentoo-user. You don't have to read the
18 entire list.
19 Let's take yet another of my real world examples that I like to use in
20 place of random foaming at the mouth, The Gentoo Virtual Mail How-to.
21 It's a decent How-to if you follow it exactly. By answering a hundred or
22 so questions related to it in the forums I've been able to fix my
23 installation faster when it broke, upgrade without problems, know
24 exactly what errors are caused what symptoms, and ultimately change the
25 original flawed design to work better and safer.
26
27 You say taking up space and bandwidth, I say QA testers though
28 admittedly poorly trained.
29
30 As for Gentoo being for idiots, I have a calendar at work. Every so
31 often I mark a day a Super Genius when I think of something especially
32 brillant. And every so often I mark a day as Befuddled by the Obvious
33 for those days when I'm surprised that anyone actually lets me admin
34 their network. Over the course of the year they generally total about
35 the same. I suspect most of us are in the same boat. As long as Gentoo
36 facilitates the Genius moments as well as keeping me a bit safer during
37 the Befuddled moments it's striking the right balance.
38
39 You say we'll let in idiots, I say we have met the enemy and it is us.
40
41 kashani
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list