From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:27:39
1 On Wednesday 03 December 2008 13:10:26 Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 03 December 2008 12:51:19 Dale wrote:
4 > >>> As for the guy who suggested a form of "sanitized HTML for email",
5 > >>> maybe you would like
6 > >>> "enriched text"
7 > >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text
8 > >>
9 > >> Someone who put it better than I could. I use HTML elsewhere but out of
10 > >> respect for the list and those who use it, I use text only, try not to
11 > >> send anything huge and put links in a way that should work for
12 > >> everybody. Maybe I am just a pushover? It's not like I own the list or
13 > >> anything either. :/
14 > >
15 > > Now if everyone would use HTML mail like you do, there wouldn't be any
16 > > problems with it :-)
17 > >
18 > > My personal bug-bear with HTML mail is the use of MS Comic Sans...
19 >
20 > Mine should be text. I have Seamonkey set to send text only to anything
21 > gentoo.org or kde.org.
22 >
23 > I can't check myself since gmail doesn't send me a copy back. Is gmail
24 > overriding my local setting? Tell me it ain't so?
25
26 No, your mail is just fine - good old plain text. When I said "your mail" I
27 meant in the larger context, like "if only the idiots at work would use HTML
28 mail sanely, like how Dale says he uses it when away from the list"
29
30 I routinely get HTML mail from the idiots who man our support desk, which
31 contain:
32
33 a. one word of information - "Thanks"
34 b. 100k of the entire conversation up to that point, every single disclaimer
35 from every single mail in the thread intact, 3 jpgs with the company logo and
36 slogan, plus assorted stupid motivational platitudes from whatever church the
37 sender happens to attend.
38
39 One day I'm going to make good on my usual threat, and actually really make
40 their mailbox go away :-)
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com