From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying locally an ebuild
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:34:38
1 El 31/ago/2005 a las 08:39 -0300, Holly me decía:
2 > The probelm here is (likely) that the name of the package (for the
3 > purposes of the ebuild) is 'mutt-conan', not mutt.
4 >
5 > The format for an overlay folder (like Portage) is
6 >
7 > cat-egory/package-name/package-name.and-version.ebuild
8 >
9 > so your ebuild should likely be in
10 >
11 > /usr/local/portage/mail-client/mutt-conan/mutt-conan-1.5.8-r2.ebuild
12 >
13 > rather than just 'mutt'.
14 >
15 > I get caught by that one all the time
16
17 And i get caught even after reading this. But now i read a second time
18 and get that the *directory* where the ebuild remains *must* have the
19 same name as the package. I didn't pay attentio to this:
20 > /usr/local/portage/ ... /mutt-conan/ ...
21
22 But before realizing that i just changed the name back to *mutt* alone
23 and the command run sucessfull. So i decided to let that way since
24 emerge will tell from where comes the ebuild, as you say.
25
26 I can't wait to see this tested, i'm doing a sync right now and gonna
27 unfix mutt version in packages.mask so this afternoon will check what
28 happens when i try to 'emerge mutt' (surely gonna be a new version)
29
30 > Is this a behaviour that a significant portion of the mutt userbase
31 > might want? Or are you just weird ;) ?
32
33 Well, you use thunderbird, so maybe you're more like a "mouse user".
34 This is the thing: in mutt you can flag a message as important (you
35 got only one flag), also you have a 'ctrl-d' command that deletes a
36 full thread. Sometimes threads get off-topic (an unconstructive flame
37 for example) and when i realize that, and don't like the new topic i
38 just 'ctrl-d' them. But what if i've flagged some message? It means
39 that it's important to me, so i wanted to remain undeleted. The
40 actual behaviour of mutt just delete everything.
41
42 That's what the patch provides me, and with a single line of code.
43 Simple. And David (the autor) do it so well that even added a new
44 option for it to be in '~/muttrc' and let the default to be the old
45 behaviour. So i think this patch can get to portage easily.
46
47 By the way, if anyone interested, this is it:
48 http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.8.dgc.flagsafe.1
49
50 > If you think it might be useful to other mutt
51 > users, submit it to b.g.o
52
53 Doing this later.
54
55 > :) Yes, you can. Isn't Gentoo great? Did you know yesterday that "even
56 > you" could contribute to development? $DEITY, I *love* that.... !
57
58 Yeah! I think it's time to read Nagatoro link now.
61 Fernando Canizo - http://www.lugmen.org.ar/~conan/
62 #if 0
63 linux-2.2.16/fs/buffer.c
64 --