From: hw <hw@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: how to share a directory tree with files in it with multiple users (Re: [gentoo-user] local shared directory)
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 15:13:19
1 Michael Orlitzky schrieb:
2 > On 04/23/2016 10:42 AM, hw wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Has it become entirely impossible to share a directory tree and the
5 >> files in it with multiple users when Linux is involved? This should be
6 >> a very simple thing to accomplish.
9 > It was never possible. It's ridiculous, but there it is. The UNIX
10 > permissions model is too simple. ACLs were bolted on top, but most tools
11 > retain legacy behavior with respect to group masks that breaks default
12 > ACLs. You're seeing that same problem with your Samba share.
13 >
14 > Filesystem permissions are one thing that Windows got right. There's
15 > ongoing work to bring that model to Linux,
16 >
17 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richacls
18 >
19 > but they're going to make the same mistake again[0] and allow the group
20 > bits to act as a mask. That means mkdir, tar, cp, 7z -- anything that
21 > tries to mess with group bits -- isn't going to work. They'll be DOA
22 > just like POSIX ACLs were.
23 >
24 > I think you can manage this with incron and POSIX ACLs. Instead of
25 > running "chmod g+w", use sys-apps/apply-default-acl to reset the
26 > permissions to the defaults that you set.
27 >
28 > I wrote apply-default-acl to solve exactly this problem. You just need
29 > to figure out a way to run it whenever things get screwed up. Which
30 > means, whenever a file or directory is created.
33 > [0] http://www.bestbits.at/richacl/man/richacl.7.txt
34 >
35 > Changing the file mode permission bits:
36 >
37 > When changing the file mode permission bits with chmod(1), the
38 > owner, group, and other file permission bits are set to the
39 > permission bits in the new mode... In addition, the masked and
40 > write_through ACL flags are set. This has the effect of limiting the
41 > permissions granted by the ACL to the file mode permission bits...
45 Hm, I'm confused. Is it not possible to somehow force
46 samba to set a user and a group as owners of a file or
47 of a directory which is being created on a share?
48
49 If that was possible, couldn't I mount that share with
50 the uid and gid of the owner and group samba enforces,
51 which would then allow multiple local users to access
52 the files and directories on that share as one?