From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: spontaneous reboots.. what to look for
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:26:47
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Reseat memory and PCI cards, etc. Consider removing for a period of
4 > time any hardware not absolutely necessary to debug the problem. (I.e.
5 > - second video card, extra disk drives, extra network adapters, etc.)
6 > Run memtest86 for a few days if you can spare the machine. Run
7 > spinrite, etc., to look for drive problems. Open the box up and place
8 > a fan blowing extra air for additional cooling.
9
10 That all sound fairly drastic... wouldn't any or all of those problems
11 leave some kind of track? Something I can look for short of tearing
12 up the whole machine?
13
14 I have had the experience of breaking something in the hardware by
15 handling it when I really didn't need to. An expensive video card I
16 had ( a few yrs ago) comes to mind The fit was so close that dicking
17 around with it I broke off a small piece with some bit of circuitry in
18 it.
19
20 Of course I had problems with getting a viewable screen so ended up
21 soldering it back in... (the piece, not card to pci slot.. hehe) That
22 fell apart again in the same place later on and I ended up using a
23 piece of bailing wire to wire it in place.
24
25 Surprisingly it worked for a long time that way.
26
27 Another time... I took my wifes' computer apart (bad idea), ostensibly
28 adding memory and somehow broke one of the clamps holding the heatsink and
29 fan onto the cpu. It could flop around quite a bit... but it actually
30 worked like that.
31
32 Eventually I wired it down too... Lasted a year or so.
33
34 But in both cases it was quite a bit of grief.
35
36 Before I retired.. I was a field construction boilermaker (weldor and
37 rigger). For most of my time in that trade, anything less than 1/2"
38 steel plate was viewed as sheet metal.. Most of the work was 1" and up.
39
40 I didn't develop a nice light touch .. needless to say.