From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] recovering plain alsa [WAS:]: no sound on upgraded Firefox from 7 to 8 - using pulse audio
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 02:59:29
1 Thank you all who replied my last messages.
2
3 Now I am back to plain alsa, but no two programs can use it at the same
4 time. Alsa drivers are built on the kernel, and I have the following
5 packages installed:
6
7 media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.24.1:0
8 media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.35:0.10
9 media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-r1:0.9
10
11 The two first ones were puled by emerging "alsa-utils".
12
13 I have lost "/etc/asound.conf", and I guess this is the key. Looking to
14 which package it belongs to, "equery" found none. I have put a quite simple
15 version (as explained here:
16 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/ALSA#Default_Sound_Device)::
17
18 pcm.!default { type hw card Intel }
19 ctl.!default { type hw card Intel }
20
21 Any hints on how can I get all programs to mix up as before?
22
23 Thanks again
24 Francisco
27 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
28 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
29 one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
30 - George Bernard Shaw