From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Whose bug is it? [was: hal greps my USB printer - help !]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:50:40
1 On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Helmut Jarausch <
2 jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > After a long search on the net I've found out
5 > that the permissions of the usb device are set wrong
6 > (root.usb)
7 > It looks like an UDEV rule installed by sane-backends
8 > sets the user to root and the group to usb.
9 > With these settings CUPS won't recognize/use the printer.
10 >
11 > I had to add the following rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
12 > (e.g.)
13 >
14 > ATTR{idVendor}=="0482", ATTR{idProduct}=="0015", MODE:="0777",
15 > GROUP:="lp", USER:="lp", ENV{libsane_matched}:="yes"
16 >
17 > where one has to vary the idVendor and idProduct, of course.
18 >
19 > Even for a casual Gentoo user that's neither trivial nor comfortable.
20 > If the printer breaks sometime one has to remember to change that rule.
21 > And it wasn't easy to find that advice.
22 >
23 > Where should I report a bug to ?
25 > net-print/cups
26 > or
27 > media-gfx/sane-backends
28 > or where else?
31 Hmm, I'm not entirely convinced there is a bug here... I don't have your
32 particular situation, but on my system, cupsd runs as root, which means that
33 it should be able to access the device just fine, whether it's set up as lp
34 or usb. Is it possible that the user that you are logged in as isn't a
35 member of the "usb" group?
36
37 -James
42 > Thanks for your help,
43 > Helmut.
46 > --
47 > Helmut Jarausch
48 >
49 > Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
50 > RWTH - Aachen University
51 > D 52056 Aachen, Germany