From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my system (really) using nptl
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 09:33:20
1 Am 14.10.2012 01:20, schrieb Michael Mol:
2 > On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> [snip]
5 >>> (Well, I'm not certain that POSIX thinks of threads as parents to each other.
6 >>
7 >> Hence the reason I put "parent" in quotes, and I specified "actually,
8 >> the thread that created it".
9 >>
10 >>> There are *numerous* IPC mechanisms available on Linux. For starters,
11 >>> there are sockets (domain, IPv4, IPv6, et al), named pipes, signals,
12 >>> mmap()'d files, messaging, etc.
13 >>
14 >> Yeah, none of them "easy and quickly" to use, or at least not if you
15 >> compare it with shared memory.
16 >
17 > I assume you mean 'shared memory' in the 'many threads to an address
18 > space', not the /dev/shm sense.
21 If we really want to be nit-picking, we have to assume 'shared memory'
22 as in malloc'ed [1] or stack memory. Anonymous mmap'ed memory mappings
23 are preserved across forks and changes in them can be shared since
24 kernel 2.4.
25
26 [1] Yes, I know that malloc uses mmap but its mappings are MAP_PRIVATE.
27
28 Regards,
29 Florian Philipp