From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Networkmanager on uclibc Gentoo system x86
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:41:27
1 João Jerónimo <joao.jeronimo.89 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Hello.
5 >
6 > I installed the uclibc stage3 tarball no a x86 machine (I chose uclibc
7 > because the PC has only 256 MB of RAM).
8
9 Did you use one of these to install your system?
10
11 http://mirror.as24220.net/pub/gentoo/experimental/x86/uclibc/
12
13 Also note:
14
15 The i586 CPU (family 5) but it has almost everything that a i686 CPU
16 (family 6) has. The only CPU instruction that is missing is the NOPL or NOP
17 Long (means no operation). Now there is a patch available that simulate the
18 missing instruction in the kernel so that the user space don't know that the
19 instruction is missing. The program can use the instruction as if there is
20 nothing missing instead of crashing. The advantage is, the programs that are
21 compiled for i686 can run on the i586 CPU with this modified Kernel. In
22 Debian there is also a special optimized C Lib version for i686 CPU's (with
23 uses cmov instructions). This optimized version of the library works with
24 the modified Kernel too. For more info's go to
25
26 http://notes.osuv.de/doku.php?id=geode.
27
28 hth,