From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 17:38:40
1 On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:24 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 [...]
4
5 > Have I to go the PulseAudio route after all?
8 Hi Peter; I had refrained to comment in this thread since I had nothing to
9 contribute regarding your original question. However, since you now ask if
10 you should go to the PA route, I'm going to put my two cents on the issue.
11
12 I moved to PulseAudio with Gnome 2.26 more than a decade ago, in 2009. I've
13 some small issues with it through the years, but the worst case scenario
14 always has been resolved with a quick "pulseaudio -k", and even that has
15 happened four or five times in all these years. Also, I do not work with
16 audio professionally, but I do use several audio sources and sinks
17 (including Bluetooth headphones and USB microphones) and since the
18 quarantine I had to record video for online courses, using the USB
19 microphone integrated to my webcam. PulseAudio usually just works™,
20 specially if you use its own tools, like pavucontrol.
21
22 (It also works incredible well with flatpak and Valve Proton in Steam,
23 which allows me the play Windows games in Linux almost flawlessly.)
24
25 For me, the most annoying thing I had to do with PulseAudio has been that
26 sometimes I need to plug and unplug a headphone jack connector so the sound
27 automatically goes through it. That's it.
28
29 However this easy of use (specially with plug-and-play) comes with a cost:
30 you are surrendering control of the audio stack to PulseAudio *completely*.
31 You can configure it inside the confines that PulseAudio itself defines;
32 but if you enable PulseAudio and you try to fight it, you ARE going to
33 lose. This is a feature; not a bug.
34
35 I use my Gentoo machines to work (and sometimes to play a video game); not
36 to learn the intricacies of ALSA. I'm fine with PulseAudio making the shots
37 regarding anything sound related; it's the same reason I use Gnome and
38 systemd. But I know a lot of people (specially Gentoo users) have *very*
39 strong feelings about the control they believe they have over the software
40 they use and that they usually didn't wrote nor contributed to it. As a
41 professional programmer and a college programming professor, I like to
42 think I know better.
43
44 If you want to keep 100% control on the audio in your system (or to believe
45 you have said control), in my experience what will happen is exactly your
46 current scenario: the moment your hardware is a little more dynamic than an
47 integrated or PCIe sound card, everything goes off the rails. Then is time
48 for the litany of searching the web and asking for help until it kinda
49 works, sometimes, except on Wednesdays and when it's raining... and then
50 you change a little your system and you need to start all over again.
51
52 Or you can try to trust a piece of software specifically written to handle
53 this kind of scenarios. But then you have to truly trust it; and with the
54 knowledge that it *WILL* sometimes fail, because no software is perfect.
55
56 I choose the second.
57
58 Now some concrete advise, if you choose to go the PulseAudio route:
59
60 1. Remove your user from the audio group.
61 2. Delete any /etc/asound* files
62 3. Delete any ${HOME}/.asoundrc file
63 4. Don't modify any file on /etc/pulse
64
65 It should just work™. Otherwise there is a piece of software or user/system
66 configuration trying to fight PulseAudio. That will not turn out OK.
67
68 Regards.
69 --
70 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés