From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] app-accessibility/speech-tools-1.2.96_beta build fails
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:05:03
1 On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:45:54PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 June 2009 19:54:10 Michael Higgins wrote:
3 > > Detected file collision(s):
4 > >
5 > > /usr/bin/dp
6 > >
7 > > Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
8 > >
9 > > Press Ctrl-C to Stop
10 > >
11 > > mail-client/nmh-1.1-r1
12 > > /usr/bin/dp
13 > >
14 > > So, it seems both packages install the same file. WTF? Am I dead in the
15 > > water now?
16 >
17 > Not necessarily. Usually one would persuade one of the ebuilds to not build
18 > the offending file by removing some USE flag. That doesn't apply to those
19 > packages (no relevant USE flags) so your options are:
20 >
21 > a. figure out which of the packages you can do without, and do so. (Do you
22 > REALLY need a speech synthesizer?)
23 > b. Examine each package's output of ./configure and see if there's a way to
24 > disable something that will avoid collisions. Then build that package
25 > manually.
26 > c. Do b) but modify the ebuild and store it in your local overlay
27 > d. Put on your cowboy hat (the black one), delete /usr/bin/dp and let rip with
28
29 Just as a reference:
30
31 from nmh, you get dp, the date parser: http://linux.die.net/man/8/dp
32 from speech tools, you get dp, the dynamic programming tool:
33 http://festvox.org/docs/speech_tools-1.2.0/x2656.htm
34
35 The second seems crucial to the operation of speech tools, the former
36 I am not sure. But for either it seems that they could more reasonably
37 belong to /usr/libexec rather than /usr/bin...
38
39 As to Alan's suggestions:
40 (a) Presumeably the OP knows that he is trying to emerge speech tools.
41 (b) and (c) are right out, at least for speech tools, since the
42 functionality seems crucial.
43 (d) o_0
44
45 Let this be a lesson to would-be programmers: it doesn't hurt to make
46 longer, more descriptive names for programs. At the very least it
47 increases the pattern space to decrease chance of collision.
48
49 My suggestion: file a bug. Hope this either gets passed to upstream,
50 or that someone patches the ebuild to make the packages install to
51 more sane locations.
52
53 W
54 --
55 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
56 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
57 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
58 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton