From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] RE: [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 02:31:17
1 -original message-
2 Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
3 From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
4 Date: 2011-07-02 07:22
5
6 >Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> writes:
7 >
8 >> Well, thanks for pointing out the error in my appliance creation script
9 >> that mistakenly sets up the serial console on non-headless VMs. I've
10 >> fixed the bug and created and uploaded a new image.
11 >
12 >My tiny input isn't much... the big thanks goes to you and to James
13 >for the walkthru to use Vbox on your appliances.
14 >
15 >At the risk of exposing further ignorance on my part, I'm curious what
16 >it means in fstab where you have:
17 >
18 > /.swap none swap sw 0 0
19 >
20 >At the swap line.
21
22 That means the system is using a swapfile -- whose name is '.swap' and located in the root directory '/' -- rather than a swap partition.
23
24 >That's another thing I haven't seen before.I mean the /DOTswap
25 >`/.swap', does it just mean there is no swap?
26
27 Nope. You can call the file 'my_awesome_file_for_swapping' and put it in /var/cache, resulting in '/var/cache/my_awesome_file_for_swapping' instead of '/.swap'.
28
29 The dot, as usual, is to un-clutter the output of 'ls /' (unless you use the -a switch, of course)
30
31 Note: If you want to use your own file, don't forget to 'mkswap /path/to/file' *before* replacing the entry in fstab
32
33 >I've noticed similar behavior on google if you try something
34 >like "--color=auto" as a search term.. google appears to throw
35 >out the `--' (dashdash) and the `=' equal sign.
36
37 Somewhere in the jungle of documents in Google's help system, Google explained that they index *only* based on letters, and strip out symbols. Except for symbols that became part of a trademark, e.g., 'C#'.
40 Rgds,
41 --
42 FdS Pandu E Poluan
43 ~ IT Optimizer ~