From: Martin S <shieldfire@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] is it toast?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 06:10:21
1 I lent my USB stick to a guy for a job the other day. Apparently his Win98
2 box wanted to install drivers for it to work, so he pulled it before
3 Wintendo (anything < 2000) could get to doing its stuff.
4
5 Now I get
6
7 SuicidalPuppy martoni # mount /mnt/usb/
8 mount: block device /dev/sda is write-protected, mounting read-only
9 mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
10 missing codepage or other error
11 In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
12 dmesg | tail or so
13
14 And
15
16 SuicidalPuppy martoni # dmesg |tail
17 ...
18 FAT: bogus logical sector size 255
19 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
20 FAT: bogus logical sector size 255
21 VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sda.
24 Googling a bit I found a few ideas how to get the USB-thingie up again.
25 Like:
26
27 SuicidalPuppy martoni # hdparm -r0 /dev/sda
28
29 /dev/sda:
30 setting readonly to 0 (off)
31 readonly = 0 (off)
32 SuicidalPuppy martoni # parted /dev/sda
33 Warning: Unable to open /dev/sda read-write (Read-only file system).
34 /dev/sda has been
35 opened read-only.
36 Warning: Unable to open /dev/sda read-write (Read-only file system).
37 /dev/sda has been
38 opened read-only.
39
40 And
41 SuicidalPuppy martoni # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
42 dd: opening `/dev/sda': Read-only file system
45 I'm out of ideas now - Is the last shot to go out and buy a new USB stick?
46
47 Martin S
54 Regards,
55