From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Would a Thinkpad X200 be too much trouble too run gentoo on?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:39:52
1 On 2022-04-21, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2022-04-21 at 15:49 +0300, Dex Conner wrote:
3 >
4 >> So I've found a Thinkpad X200 online and I'm thinking of buying it for
5 >> libreboot purposes. Do you think the P8600 cpu can handle all the
6 >> compiling on gentoo? For the record, I don't have any of the "big stuff"
7 >> like KDE, GNOME, Firefox (all I have is Tor Browser [which I don't
8 >> compile], dwl and some terminal programs like neomutt and profanity).
9 >> Surely, I wouldn't be spending 5 hours to do small upgrades,
10 >> right?..right?
11 >
12 > It's getting harder and harder. There's always GCC, which is going to
13 > take you most of the day to build and will probably require -j1 to keep
14 > you from running out of memory. But aside from that, the big ones are
15 >
16 > * dev-lang/rust: pulled in by anything that needs SVG support unless
17 > you unmask an old insecure version of librsvg or can tolerate half-
18 > broken SVG support. This takes over 24h, requires -j1, and gets
19 > worse every day because it bundles all of its (growing list of)
20 > dependencies.
21
22 Have you tried using dev-lang/rust-bin?
23
24 I switched all my machines to rust-bin a while back, and never noticed any problem.
27 > * LLVM: needed by rust, some video cards, and certain picky packages.
28 > This one is at least _legitimately_ large but has annoying point
29 > releases every once in a while that trigger a rebuild for little
30 > benefit. Again, expect ~24h.
31
32 Yea, building LLVM is brutal, and pretty much unavoidable these days.
35 Grant