From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (viable) alternatives ?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:23:39
1 On 11/10/2014 7:30 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > Well, there are no plans to make udev stop working without systemd as
3 > far as I can tell. HOWEVER, there ARE plans to require using kdbus to
4 > communicate with udev, and for that to work there needs to be a
5 > userspace initialization of kdbus/etc.
6
7 So... you're saying I'm mis-reading this:
8
9 > Unless the systemd-haters prepare another kdbus userspace until then
10 > this will effectively also mean that we will not support non-systemd
11 > systems with udev anymore starting at that point. Gentoo folks, this
12 > is your wakeup call.
13
14 and that it doesn't mean that "udev will stop working without systemd",
15 or, as Lennart said, "... we will not support non-systemd systems with
16 udev anymore staryting at that point (when udev is moved onto kdbus as
17 transport)?
18
19 Or... maybe eudev (or mdev, or both) could or would have to be
20 [re]written so as to be fulfill the 'kdbus userspace' role Lennart
21 mentions above?
22
23 Being 'not a dev' (or programmer at all), I guess it is entirely
24 possible it isn't as bad as it sounds, but his "Gentoo folks, this is
25 your wake-up call." comment is what really stands out to me, as a gentoo
26 user.
27
28 I don't care about dbus/kdbus - if it is in the kernel, and under Linus'
29 control, and I need to enable it to use my systems, that is fine with
30 me. What I want is to always have the option - a *stable* option - to
31 not have to install/use systemd if I don't want to.