From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing a binary package without /usr/portage
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 06:25:55
1 On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 00:36 -0500, Teresa and Dale wrote:
2 > Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >
4 > >Hi all,
5 > >
6 > >I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
7 > >just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
8 >
9 > Could you put /usr/portage on a dvd and just mount it there? A dvd
10 > should hold a lot of source files. You could also use a NFS to access
11 > the files. Just put all the souce tarballs on one machine and share
12 > them with the rest. Just a idea.
13
14 These PC's have no removable media drives, and when they go "into the
15 field", they don't have any other hosts around them to share with. I
16 want to be able to dial up and install the odd package that I forgot to
17 test properly at the office :)
18
19 thanks,
23 If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive!
24 -Samuel Goldwyn
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list