From: Pouru Lasse <lasse.pouru@××××××××××××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 07:51:52
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Andrew Udvare wrote:
4 >> On 03/12/2018 17:50, Dale wrote:
5 >>> Jack wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I was wondering if the checksums could be checked?  If the OP can find
8 >>> the checksum for the DVD as it comes from the factory, then he could
9 >>> check what he has against that.  Question is, is that info even
10 >>> available or does it vary over batches of DVDs?  If it varies, it may
11 >>> not be possible to test that way even if checksums are available.
12 >>>
13 >>> Just throwing that out there in case checksums are available and it
14 >>> could be done that way.  Sort of doubt it tho.
15 >> Checksums do exist. The Redump project is trying to collect all relevant
16 >> disc information for every video game ever made, basically.
17 >>
18 >> http://redump.org/disc/57802/
19 >>
20 >> The process to generate this information is very specific and requires
21 >> software that isn't made for Linux unfortunately. But the MD5, CRC32,
22 >> SHA1 is there which can be usually be checked with `dd /dev/sr0 |
23 >> sha1sum` for a basic disc.
24 >>
25 >> PS1 and PS2 games can be checked without special hardware in this case,
26 >> but for others, specific hardware is required.
27 >>
28 >> In my case I have a JTAG Xbox 360, so the best way for me to check a
29 >> game is to have my Xbox 360 dump the disc contents entirely with an app
30 >> that would not be available on a normal Xbox 360. If this fails at any
31 >> point it's a bad disc (or it needs cleaning/repair).
34 > So as usual, they are not very Linux friendly.  Figures.  I was hoping
35 > that there might be something helpful out there.  Sounds like there is
36 > but only in certain cases.  That said, if that will help the OP with
37 > only half the games, that is half that can be tested.  Otherwise, one
38 > has to play a lot of games and see if it crashes.  ;-)
39 >
40 > My favorite game, if you call this that, Kpatience.  I play spider
41 > solitaire with it.  Sometimes a few other games.  I did play Tux Racer
42 > once years ago tho.  I don't recall ever buying a game tho.  I've heard
43 > of a lot of them and even seen some run but never was to into it.
44 >
45 > Maybe some of this will lead to something that can help the OP.
46 >
47 > Dale
48 >
49 > :-)  :-)
50
51 Looks like checking the checksums is the way to go for the PS2 games,
52 somehow I just assumed it wouldn't be that simple.
53
54 I thought that dvdisaster should work for DVDs based on the name, but it
55 gives the error "this software does not support DVD-ROM type media" for
56 DVD games and also for regular movie DVDs. Maybe the ebuild is limited
57 to just CDs for some reason.
58
59 - Lasse