From: Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 07:39:21
1 Neil Bothwick writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:04:17 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Putting it on a logical volume is one advantage, allowing /usr to be
6 >> > resized should the need arise.
7 >>
8 >> Why not allow / to be resized entirely? You probably will take the
9 >> machine off-line anyway.
10 >
11 > Because you can't boot from an LV, so you'd than need a separate /boot
12 > and an initramfs. Without LVM, you are unlikely to be able to resize /
13 > or /usr as it is not usually the last partition on the drive.
16 Isn't it possible now with grub2?. I think it can read inside LVM
17 partitions. I have not personally tested it but I have a RAID system
18 with no separate /boot partition — a close case.
21 Alberto